Sunday 8 October 2017

A Box of Crocheted Fruit


You may remember that, last spring, I made some crocheted vegetables for the school I work in. They were a delight to make and I was quite happy to give them away when I'd finished them because I'd already had so much fun crocheting, stuffing and photographing them.

I'd always intended to create a box of fruit too and, over the last six weeks, I have been slowly putting together a collection of nine items. As with the vegetables, a really fun part of the project was styling the crocheted fruits with some real ones, or arranging them on a plate or in a bowl. I enjoyed this so much. 


They were all a pleasure to make. Some, like the strawberry and plum, took an hour to make from start to finish. Others, like the grapes (those grapes!) took days and days; eighteen little crochet balls which needed to be made, stuffed and sewn up before being attached to a stem and leaves. The banana was fun, I think that was a really well designed pattern. The pear is my favourite though; the muted colour, the shape, the soft squishiness of the finished fruit.

I used cotton DK yarn, mainly scraps, in a mixture of mercerised and unmercerised yarn. The mercerised yarn (in the plum and apple for example) is slightly shiny and doesn't split as easily, so it's lovely to work with. The unmercerised yarn (such as the pear) is more organic, untreated, and has a duller sheen and splits more when you work. I actually prefer the look of it. Each fruit was crocheted on a 3mm hook.


I thought I'd scratched my crochet fruit itch with this lot, but I am already planning some pumpkins to decorate the house with this autumn.


I'll be joining in with Jennifer's Winter Project Link Party again over the coming months. I am usually more productive with my crochet and sewing when the weather is colder - especially when there are Christmas gifts to be made - and it's good to share them here and see what others who join up with the party are making too. 

26 comments:

  1. Lovely, I think the pear is my favourite too. Pumpkins will be brilliant, I shall look forward to seeing what you come up with. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're really great, Gillian! I love all of them. Your photos of them with real fruits are fun, very creative. Thanks for joining in with my link party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Gillian & your styling is amazing. One very clever lady. I was going to say "cute" to start with then thought "mouth watering", but now it's more of I'm jealous of your creativity.(giggle). Look forward to seeing your pumpkinfest, though I don't think you'll crochet one of our Queensland Blues. I'll leave you to think on that one! Have a good week & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is almost impossible to choose a favourite as they are all wonderful. I love the way you have photographed them alongside 'real' fruit. The staff and children must be thrilled with your generous gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your meatballs look like the Curtis Stone Breakfast Cookies I made. The best cookie ever but I had the bright idea to put a smashed date on top of each and it sure did not photograph well.
    Love reading about your cooking and I am in awe of these crocheted creations. The photos of the pairing of real and crocheted are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your crocheted fruit. The vegetables that you'd made before were brilliant too. Your styled photographs of them bring a smile. Have a good week, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super adorable! Love the way you photographed them individually. I have a crochet food book but have yet to attempt any of the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet your school would love them as a centre piece for Harvest Festival! They're so cute and I can't wait to see your pumpkins. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see why the pear is your favourite - it is wonderful! (They are all perfectly lovely, and I can imagine how much fun it was to style them for the photos.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those fruits and I already loved your crocheted vegetables! I plan on making a lot of crocheted food for my kid, but as I'm still pregnant I still have some time to start and finish those vegetables and fruits! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are brilliant! Look forward to seeing your pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I'm partial to the lemon, but they are all lovely. I can't believe you can crochet fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute Gillian - I wouldn't be able to keep my daughter from stealing them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the fruit. And I am in awe of the patience it takes to make them. I think they will look lovely in a bowl on your table, but I love the shelf you have them on in these pictures. Really classy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. For the love of crochet they are ACE! It must be hard to give them away. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are fabulous. I'm looking forward to seeing the pumpkins now. 🎃

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautifully made and beautifully photographed. Pumpkins will be fab!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are so much fun! The grapes are my favourite. I love the way you've styled the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet! I quite fancy a basket full of these xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sweet... and such fun! Looking forward to those pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The fruit photos would make a great calendar.
    Love the pear, the curves are superb!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  22. My goodness what a joy to visit and see those amazing creations, stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.