Friday 14 July 2017

Two Chairs


A couple of weeks ago I bought a pair of spindle backed chairs from eBay. I'd been looking for one chair for months, to sit at my dressing table, but single chairs don't come up for sale very often. Eventually I found a pair, and not far away in Winchester. Solidly built and sturdy, they were a bargain at £15 each, but pretty bashed around the edges as you can see below.


But the poor state of the veneer and horrible orange colour meant they were perfect for sanding and painting.


I remain unconvinced by chalk paint, and so did this the old fashioned way; sanding the wood then giving the chairs two coats of undercoat and two of eggshell, with a light sand between coats.


I think the white paint transforms this chair and enhances the lovely shape of the spindles. It will stay here in the hall for now, against that colourful Marimekko wallpaper.



The second chair got a coat of paint too.


I had always intended this one to be dark grey or black and in the end used Empirical Grey interior metal and wood paint by Valspar, mainly because we had an almost full tin of it in the garage left over from when we painted the radiator in our dining room a year ago.


This chair sits in the living room for now but eventually this one will go in our bedroom, in front of my dressing table. I think it will look good on the soon-to-be-white floorboards.

I didn't intend for 2017 to be the year I painted all our furniture, but I'm really enjoying it. Two beds and two chairs later, I'm working my way around the bedrooms in our house. My next project will be a chest of drawers and my dressing table. I know I only painted it two years ago but it's in a terrible state - the off-white colour has faded badly and I've never known paint chip like it. I can't wait to sand it back and do it again properly.

20 comments:

  1. They look great. I am so pleased to learn there is someone else out there unconvinced about chalk paint, I thought I was the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifull, what a great bargain. You have painted them lovely. I love your wallpaper!...

    ReplyDelete
  3. the chairs look lovely! I like to use your blog as an inspiration for interior design, though our style at home is rather different from yours. But still - some things fit perfectly and I love to get inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job Gillian, you're on a roll! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Gillian & I keep thinking about our old table & chairs, which need a good makeover, but I'm procrastinating. If I get them done you'll know. Have a good weekend & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gillian, I totally agree with you re: Chalk Paint. I spent an entire summer a couple of years ago painting 6 dining room chairs with 3 coats each and then 2 or 3 of wax - and they're all chipped and tatty looking now. probably okay for non-functional furniture (whatever that is). You have inspired me to do things properly for the wardrobe I keep meaning to paint, no short-cuts this time! By the way, I've never commented before but have been reading your blog for years and love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job. I too have painted these kind of chairs to give them a new lease of like but I don't have your patience to do such a through job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice, Gillian. I had a similar chair years ago and I loved the look of it. It was structurally very poor, so I eventually replaced it, but it was attractive. I'm glad you like to paint furniture because I do too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a poor record for finishing paint jobs, unfortunately. Love your chairs, the shape is timeless and the new coats of paint turned them into elegant pieces of furniture. I am thinking I would really like a dressing table. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really like the design of the chairs and they look good in both colors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You must be learning stuff from each new paint job. Those look really proffessional. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great pair of chairs! Lovely to see something being reused and loved again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely work Gillian. I am about to paint some bedroom furniture and was thinking about chalk, do you think egg shell is more suitable for heavily used items?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your new chairs are fantastic and look so beautiful painted. I'm still trying to drum up the courage to paint something but my family keep vetoing it - even the little sewing table bought at a car boot sale, for the princely sum of £2, specifically to paint apparently looks so nice as oak! I may have to present them with a fete accompli! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. The chairs look very nice, they are the perfect shape for the 60s-look of your house.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look lovely. I want to paint my boring dining chairs, I really must get on with it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoying seeing your 2017 year of the paint transformations... the grey is such a lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank goodness I am not the only person who doesn't rate chalk paint. I found it over priced, doesn't give a durable finish and you have to buy and apply wax on top!
    to a room.
    I do agree that painting furniture can be a bit addictive, breathing new life into old cherished items and giving a nice pop of colour or contrast

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.