Monday 10 July 2017

Balance


Hello friends. How was your weekend? Ours was packed full and in danger of being totally lost to chores and commitments, you know how it is. My Friday night mood (tired and grumpy with a dash of resentful) carried over until Sunday afternoon when I thought bugger it, bugger the ironing pile, the homework, the gardening, the emails, all the things I need to do - we're going to the beach. And we did, and it was the best decision of my whole weekend.

It wasn't all bad; Saturday morning's 5k bike ride/run was fun, if swelteringly hot, but I spent most of Saturday afternoon in the car ferrying small children around while sulking to myself. Honestly, I'm just too much fun. Sunday morning was lost in M&S (returning a swimsuit) and B&Q (buying plant pots) and in between all that I sanded and painted a chair. John was working all weekend. Weekends when he works can go one of two ways - brilliant fun, when the kids and I do what we want, or really hard work. 

So the children and I packed the lightest of beach bags - just swimmers, towels, bottles of water, a mat to sit on - and jumped in the car. I'd barely put the bags down on the sand before Angus was running into the sea and I had to have words with him about not going into the water without me. It's a sheltered beach with little surf, but still. It was beautiful down there and the water was warm and clear. Later on my parents and sister and her family joined us for a while and we all swam and splashed around, it was so lovely. Of course now I'm all out of kilter with my week, and will also be working full time I suspect, but it was so worth it. 

Other highlights: 

:: The sweetpeas  - it's true, the more you cut them the more they grow!




:: A happy hour spent repotting all my pilea babies, which grow almost as fast as my children.


:: Cherry clafoutis for dessert after dinner on Sunday evening. Light and sweet and summery.


:: Realising that this shelf is the best place ever to display the large amount of shells and pebbles we seem to collect every time we visit our beach.


:: And finally, finally, the best thing ever...



21 comments:

  1. She's in! I'm so happy to see that. We started back to swimming lessons this morning and my heart was in my throat watching L on the diving board. This pool actually used to have a high-dive, but I'm keeping that little tidbit to myself. Ha. He doesn't need to know what terrifying feats he's missing out on. I'm glad you went to the beach, it sounds like you needed it. I'm jealous of how easy it is for you to pick up and go. I'm so happy to know how much you appreciate it. You make excellent use of your beach, lady friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely the right thing to do, jobs can be caught up with whenever and you made more precious memories instead xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd put a trip to the beach before housework any day. Have I mentioned how envious I am of your nearby beach? I'm green with it! Your cherry clafoutis looks delicious too. Just keep counting the days until the end of term. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant of you to ditch the chores and enjoy the ocean! I was reading with some of my grands this morning from a little book about the beach and I confided in them, "Being on the beach by the ocean is G'ma's favorite place on earth!" It is delightful to see your swimmer! May your week be sorted out in the best of ways xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Bella!
    I find it's always hectic towards the end of the school year. So much to fit in and so little time in which to do it. The beach is the perfect solution. The ironing won't go anywhere. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Gillian,
    I'm just as guilty for letting the 'to do' list clutter up my weekend. Yes, some things need attending to, but I can allow it to be at the expense of actually relaxing. So bravo forcdowning tools and hitting the beach! And bravo Bella! She looks so happy and proud of herself! And I love all the plants dotted about your lovely home; you've inspired me to seek out more for mine.
    Have a good week.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right, the ironing and other stuff can wait until another time, but the beach can't - you have to go when the weather is right.
    My weekend was nice; Saturday, a surprise picnic for a friend's 40th birthday, and Sunday, travelling to Yorkshire... That was not all nice, but it is the only way we can enjoy our home away from home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Bella, I bet it was blissful in there. I'm glad you got to go to the beach, such things are childhood memories made of. Sweet peas and cherries here too, and everything summer. Wonderful. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds to me, it was a much needed release and other things can wait, as housework stuff will always be there, but spending quality time with family is important. Love the look of your cherry clafoutis, which I've not made for years and I really like your round shelf unit, as my parents had one very similar when I was growing up. Have a good week & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reminds me of that poem. "Dust if you must, but wouldn't it be better?".................. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even your pictures are in balance, looks like great summertime,
    Enjoy it as much as you can...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Yes!!from the moment I saw the first pictures I started wondering did she go in and was going to ask in the comments. Well Done Bella - whooping you from over here. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely, happy photograph of Bella... These last few weeks of the school year are packed with fun, but are oh so tiring - sounds like a trip to the beach was just what was needed for all. Love the photo of the sweetest pilea babies! I need one of these sweet plants...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you had a good weekend and that it wasn't all full of chores! Love the shells and stones on your shelves - that would make them stone, shell shelves! Sorry.... couldn't help myself. Love all of your pilea babies, too adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved your Kitchenella recipes thanks lots and these pretty pictures around your home. Must look up pilleas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bravo Bella! It's such a great moment and wonderful memory. Chores are necessary but we really shouldn't allow dusting and ironing and such to spoil too much of our free time, so bravo for you also for making the right decision. Lovely sweet peas, they are really thriving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely worth the rebellion I think! Well done Bella! I hope your week doesnt suffer too much while you catch up though... hang in there, not long now! :)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes we need to ditch the must dos for the want to dos.
    Hope this has been a good week for you.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah to being brave ! Enjoy your whole family swims.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.