Monday 24 April 2017

Roses and Bluebells


Like many people, I do not enjoy having my photograph taken, not one bit. But so that you could see what this cardigan looks like on - and so that I am not completely absent from our family's photographic history - I asked John to take some photos of me at the weekend. We were in the most picturesque place, and the bluebells were at there absolute bluest (and is it me or are they especially good this year?) so it seemed as good an opportunity as any.


This is my Rose Cardigan which was very kindly sent to me in a kit by the excellent Wool and the Gang. I'm a big fan of their products (crochet patterns that you actually want to wear! In lovely colours!) so it was no hardship working away on this project. The kit contains everything you need; pattern, yarn, hook, darning needle - even a label, which is a nice touch. It's the second item of clothing I've crocheted myself (after my poncho) and a very easy project indeed. No increases or decreases, just a lot of rows of treble stitch and a lot of beautiful soft cotton. 


It's quite heavy and has a very nice drape and movement to it. It is long, possibly because my tension was quite loose. Luckily, as I'm almost 6 foot tall, this isn't an issue, but smaller folk may find they need to decrease the initial starter chain which dictates the length of the garment, or go down a hook size.

I went ever so slightly off-pattern at the end, and decided to shorten the length of the sleeves by turning them up a couple of rows and tacking them in place with matching cotton thread.


Sewing it up was straightforward, you just whip-stitch up each side and under each arm, and then I blocked it.



Also - foam blocking mats! I have never used these before and they are a revelation! I used to block everything on a couple of towels laid over a carpet but since we hardly have any carpeted floors now, I decided to buy some those interlocking mats. I think that technically the ones I bought are play mats for children, but they were a lot cheaper than those marketed as "crafting mats" and seem to do the same job. I bought two packs of these and they worked a treat.


Last of all, let me rave a little about the colour. I love this soft shade of pink. I think it might be called blush, although the yarn is called "Nude Pink". It goes so well with black, navy and grey (basically my wardrobe colours) and is very flattering. I would love to make a cotton bed throw version of this cardigan, all soothing cotton and calm pattern, something for the summer. Trouble is I'd need about 50 balls of the yarn so that would be quite an expensive throw.


Anyway, there we have it, one Rose Cardigan. I've got the bug now and am thinking about making my first crocheted sweater. There's no stopping me!


29 comments:

  1. It's beautiful and looks so good on you. How nice to be given a kit to try. I think this one is very "you" and looks wonderful with the outfit you have on. Nice to have photos of yourself, isn't it? I just had a couple of photos of me taken the other day, while working in the kitchen. I look disheveled and angry, but I totally thought I was looking neat and pleasant at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fabulous Gillian. You must be thrilled with how it's turned out. The colour is gorgeous and it's so lovely to see you wearing it, and in such beautiful surroundings. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colour, cardigan and model. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely Gillian, well done you. And I totally agree about the colour, it's perfection. Pink, but oh so subtle. The photos of you are excellent, especially the first one. There are almost no photos of me at all, I really must get the biggest boy to take a few some time. The one I use for my writing profile looks like Brian May chewing a bee. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look lovely, you clever girl. I have tried and tried to learn to crochet but no luck. I can knit well but there you have it, no talent for the one hook. Must comment on those bluebells what a wonderful sight. I last saw them like that in Cheshire when I was about 12, I am 70 now so it has been a long wait!! Love Andie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY WORD, that is gorgeous & what a massive undertaking on your part. Well done you. You also have the height to wear something like that, as how ridiculous would it look on someone under five feet tall.(giggle) Oh, those "bluebells"!!!!!!!! Between you & Lucy, I'm feeling quite homesick. Have a good week & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so pretty, even prettier than the bluebells you modeled against. Such a soft color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, you, the cardigan, and the Bluebells! Thanks for your inspiration, Gillian. I hope you and yours have a happy week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cardigan is beautiful--good job! And all the bluebells....so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love,love,LOVE this!! You look wonderful in it and the color is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is AM - AZ- ING! It looks really useful as a throw over to any outfit. I love the pictures of you wearing it you should feature more. I only have the sewing up to do on mine, it was so quick to make the cosmic sweater. It might be your next project from wool and the gang. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cardi looks great. Those bluebells look like they're glowing. CN x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great on you, and you look great in it - and in front of those fantastic bluebells!!! Even here in Germany, this shade of pink is called "nude". I like those soft "nude" shades, too, but haven't got much of it in my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It came out so beautifully, totally wearable and gorgeous!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the kimono type sleeves

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your cardigan looks great. I imagine it would be perfect for those summer nights when you need to wrap something around you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the perfect time of year for a cardigan like that! I just finished a short sleeve open cardi for myself. You chose a beautiful color, so soft and Spring-like. Show it off and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous cardy... and such a pretty blush colour. Just the thing for spring! Have you any ideas what top you fancy crocheting next?

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a pretty colour, you are very clever. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the colour. It looks great on you and they're lovely photos (especially the first one). I rarely look how I imagine I look in photos (if that makes sense!) and avoid being in front of the lens if possible. Silly, though, because our kids will want to see photos of us – we are a big part of their family history. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful photos - your cardigan is beautiful and I love the colour. I also use play mats for blocking! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very stylish! Looks like a perfect wardrobe accessory for the these spring days when you just need that light extra layer. Pretty colour too.
    And those bluebells! Hoping to see some this weekend.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah the bluebells this year are beautiful, although every year I think they are the best ever! I love the dusky pink of your cardigan and think you look very stylish posing for photographs amongst the bluebells.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't know what is more beautiful, the cardigan or the bluebells! Both are gorgeous!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  25. You look really beautiful in the bluebell glade. Great colouring. The coat is fab I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Gillian,
    A triumph of a cardi!
    Why is it that we all seem to hate having our photo taken? I loathe having mine done too, and yet I am already mourning the fact that there are so few of me and the boys together. Lots of Marc and the boys. And s few of f Marc and I together either. For the record, you look lovely.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. The cardigan is stunning and you look wonderful amongst the bluebells.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your cardigan is beautiful! I am sure you will enjoy wearing it, it and you look lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.