Tuesday 6 September 2016

Pages Turning


It's that time again; new starts, new terms, new teachers and new routines. September always feels more like New Year to me than New Year. I was really happy to go back to work yesterday; don't get me wrong, another week of holiday would have been lovely, but it has to come to an end at some point and the children are ready for school to start again. They would deny that but I think they'll be happy to be back among their friends and in the classroom environment. It was dark when I got up yesterday, and raining too, which made autumn suddenly seem close, although hopefully we'll get some more warm weather this month. I'm not quite ready to pack away my sandals yet.

I sucked every last drop out of the final week of the summer break. I bought new school uniform and school shoes, met friends in the park for picnics, tackled the garden (with a lot of help from my sister). I deliberately made myself something really tasty for lunch each day. I miss my nice lunches when I'm at work, and I used to love this meal when I was a stay at home mum, cooking something that only I liked, that I could eat in silence while reading a magazine. Last week I made omelettes, salads, courgette fritters, garlic mushrooms on toast. 


We had some home days where I pottered and crafted and ticked jobs off my list. I wrote it at the start of the summer holidays and it was full of things like: sort through filing cabinet, paint plant stand, clean out garage, get car serviced, book eye test, get hair cut. Things I struggle to do in term time, and I'm pleased that I got a lot of those chores done as it means my weekends will be free for weekending, not boring grown up stuff - for a few weeks at least I hope.


I spent a wonderful day in London with my friend Abigail on Friday. We visited the State Rooms in Buckingham Palace first as we wanted to see the exhibition of the Queen's Wardrobe and it was just amazing. So many beautiful clothes, and so interesting to see how fashions changed over the decades. Her coronation gown was a sight to behold. Then we walked through Belgravia and Hyde Park to our lunch destination in The Orangery at Kensington Palace. 


We had "afternoon tea" for lunch which came on a three tiered stand piled high with cucumber sandwiches, mini wraps and bagels, scones, cakes, macarons, tiny little tartlets - everything so dainty and perfect and completely delicious.


Suitably refreshed, we explored Kensington Palace and the grounds, which was all as lovely as you would imagine, before heading home. 


It was a nice finale to the school holidays and I'm really glad we saved such a special day out until the end.

I cooked up a storm over the weekend, making all sorts of things to fill lunchboxes for the week ahead. I've made this salad a few times now for myself and it's become a favourite. 


I substituted the spinach for parsley as that's what I had in the fridge, and it's delicious warm or cold, and keeps well for a few days without going soggy.


I few weeks ago, I made cookies but my cookie recipe gives enough for about 30 cookies (too much for us, unbelievably!) so I froze half of it. I found it in the freezer the other day, defrosted it and baked them. Oh my goodness, why have I never done this before? It's so blindingly obvious, and such a time saving way of baking. I am always going to freeze half my cookie dough from now on. Also - I am loving how I can get more than two baking trays in the oven at once by using the side oven while cooking something else in the main oven! I know, it's too much. 


Remember all those blackcurrants I grew and lovingly picked in the back garden, and how I was going to make blackcurrant liquorice ice cream with them? Well it got cooler and I didn't fancy ice cream so I made them all into compote.


The last few mornings have definitely felt like porridge mornings.


I went blackberry picking with the kids and my parents on Sunday in the grounds of Stansted House (pictured at the top, with the cricket match happening in front - such an English scene!) It's a favourite local walk and excellent blackberry hunting ground, and I have two kilos washed, bagged and frozen. This makes me feel very happy and satisfied, and like I've done something productive. Most will go into jelly but I'll save some for blackberry and apple crumbles which is probably one of my favourite puddings ever.

Wishing you and yours a happy return to school, if you haven't already. 

*

If you'd like to vote for me in the Amara Interior Blog Awards, then please follow this link. I would really appreciate your vote. Thank you! 












21 comments:

  1. Totally agree that it has now turned to porridge-for-breakfast weather. Lovely photographs of your end of holidays. And I have cooker envy. Oh, and bed sheet envy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of Stansted House and the cricket. Perfectly English as you say. Well done on the nice lunches, mushrooms are toast are delicious aren't they, you have reminded me. Your visit to London sounds like perfection. Afternoon tea is one of my absolute favourite things. I imagine the boys taking me to London for afternoon tea in the future when they are all grown up and have disposable income. I am already making sure that they know they will be doing this. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've really made the most of the end of the holidays. I too am trying to be more organised with the back to school routine but haven't managed any lunches for me (although I've done all the meals for the ABO to take on flights) this week...maybe next week. You've reminded me to make mushrooms on toast - I'd need some delicious bread to go with it though! Great idea with the cookie dough...I should try that. Hope you have a great first week back at work xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something special about making lunches just for yourself, particularly things that nobody else likes much. I mad courgette fritters yesterday, when I was working at home. I can feel a tad of oven envy coming on, seeing your side oven... Happy return to school! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your day in London sounds like the perfect end to the summer holidays. A friend was telling me about the Queen's Wardrobe exhibition at the weekend and how lovely it is. It is such a treat to have interesting lunches rather than boring sandwiches every day. I too have oven envy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really believe I was born in the wrong country. I would LOVE to see the Queen's Wardrobe exhibit. The whole day sounds exactly my speed. I'm glad you were able to do fun things and get stuff done before the return to work and school. I wish you all a great start back to the routines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos. Your mushrooms on toast look so good. It does look as though Autumn is on its way and I couldn't be happier. I remember the school routine well, both as a parent and as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I freeze left over cookie dough in rolls wrapped in grease proof paper. Just slice and bake - no defrosting needed. Your visit sounds wonderful and a lovely way to end your summer break. Love the look of your salad, I'm taking homemade soup into work with me each day now. Celery this week but after seeing your mushrooms on toast I think it will be mushroom soup next week x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I envy your lunches! I am terrible at making myself something yummy to eat in the day time. It often ends up being something the boys are eating (which isn't usually that exciting for a grown up). Good luck with Blog Awards - vote cast :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. September has a smell about it, I always think, that suggests the summer is winding down. Love your photos as always, and glad you've had a good week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a perfect last week before term begins. So many gorgeous things to eat and do - that afternoon tea looks divine. I remember Nigella recommending freezing half the amount of cookie dough in little ice-cream scoop 'dollops' and it was a real revelation. Enjoy the new term. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed your recount of your last week before your school routine commences and hope that you will have a good year...it does seem more like the New Year, doesn't it. A friend at church has invited the ladies from our morning and evening knitting/crocheting service group over for tea this coming Saturday. She makes a lovely tea and last year walked us around the little garden areas around her home...not pretentious just sweetly beautiful. I plan to make open-faced cucumber sandwiches, and almond flour ginger crinkle cookies to share. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. No back to school for me, since I've been out of school for a few decades now :-) But the start of September definitely does feel a bit like New Year for me; I've blogged about it some years ago.
    Good to see you had such a great last week! I've not been to London in almost 10 years (as we're always up in Yorkshire when we go to England), but I have fond memories of a day spent visiting Kensington Palace and the surrounding gardens and parks.
    Hopefully, you'll get to wear your sandals a few more times :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lovely post, Gillian, I don't know where to start commenting, I'd never stop! But have really enjoyed reading it all!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely end to the summer holidays! Glad you had a great time. Teensy bit envious of your clever oven! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your food makes me drool! Nice photos ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh that afternoon tea feast. what a wonderful way to end the summer xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. sounds like the perfect end of summer.Is oven envy a thing? because I want that oven .cant wait to see what you get up too in september

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ticking things off lists is one of the best feelings. I've been blackberrying here too and eating them for lunch with vegetable juice (sounds disgusting but isn't!). Your London day out sounds and looks lovely. I'm a sucker for a cream tea too :O) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Afternoon tea - what a brilliant invention! I absolutely get the oven thing, it's a delight to have two, isn't it. I've been blackberry (and bilberry) picking too, it's great to have a stack of berries in the freezer :-) Bravo for your award nomination, Gillian.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.