Monday 22 April 2024

Small home improvements




Hello! First of all, can I say thank you for all the lovely comments you leave me on this blog. It means so much and I really appreciate it.

I wanted to share a few small-ish home improvements that we have finished this winter and spring. Most of these have taken months and months to actually be completed but it is nice to tick some jobs off the list. (I love a list.) We have lived in this house for nine years now and still have not done much of the work we would like to do. Rooms constantly need to be decorated, leaks mended, plumbers and roofers phoned.

I'll start with the airing cupboard. This deep cupboard goes into the eaves from Angus's bedroom and goes back a surprisingly long way. It used to house a huge hot water tank which took up most of the space, and was really good for drying washing. However, a year ago, maybe longer, we replaced our very old boiler with a new combi-boiler, which was re-sited down in the garage. The upside to this was instantly improved water pressure, hotter radiators and cheaper gas bills, but the downside was no more hot water tank. When it was removed it left lots of holes in the walls and floorboards which we ignored for many, many months. 


We pulled up and threw out the scrap of carpet and John filled all the holes in the walls. My Dad repaired some of the broken and damaged floorboards and then Mum and I painted the whole space, walls, ceiling and woodwork, with white paint. 


John laid some ply boards on the floor, over the floorboards, and attached a plug-in wall light. Then my Dad built us some slatted (for air flow) shelves and put up a pole for hanging clothes. A team effort.


The storage is brilliant.


Shelves for towels on one side and bedding on the other, and everything clean and dust free. Handily, some hot water pipes still run through the cupboard helping to air everything. 



Next, the bathroom. Now, we had no intentions to do anything at all with the bathroom, We had a new shower, sink and toilet installed in December 2019 and as far as we were concerned, it was finished. However, we had been noticing damp appear in the bathroom and realised we had a slow leak which had been leaking into the wall between the bathroom and kitchen for a very long time.


John chiselled out the pipework, got a plumber in to fix the pipes and then left it to dry out. This is what our bathroom looked like from October to February. I stopped noticing it after a while.


Finally it was filled and sanded by John and then painted by my lovely mum and I. The final joy was the reinstallation of the towel rail - not more cold towels! 


While we were doing work, John added some more tiles to the foot of the shower - that wall gets much more splashed than we thought it would when we had the bathroom fitted - and we decided to change the paint colour since we were going to have to re-paint anyway.




The final step was to add a couple of shelves to the wall above the toilet for extra storage, something our bathroom is always lacking.


Next, the kitchen. I think I already showed you the wooden strips we added to the end panel in the kitchen.


(Can you see the water damage from the leak on the wooden floor? It will fade as it drys out.)
You can see where Ziggy chewed the panel when he was a puppy. We've looked at it like that for about seven years then finally, over February half term, I had the idea to cover it up with some strips of wood. We used pine (cheaper) which we stained with oak oil.


I liked it so much that I persuaded John to add some more to another corner of the kitchen.

We have had these shelves by the window for years. I thought they were going to solve all my storage problems but sadly they just became a dust trap and dumping ground, plus the veneer was going all yellow round the edge.


We took down the shelves, filled the holes and painted. Then, we set to work fixing more pine strips to this white, shiny end panel. We stained the pine strips beforehand, then cut them to size before attaching them. We used tile spacers to keep the spacing consistent. 


 
Finally I added a little lobster decoration from here



I love the warmth the wooden tones bring to the kitchen. When we had it fitted we wanted everything clean and white. I don't regret choosing the kitchen but would certainly choose something completely different (warmer, a softer colour, less clinical) today.







11 comments:

  1. Just lovely Gillian; I love a storage solution and think the upstairs cupboard is a delight (I need to get out more! ) Always find your blog interesting and well written and illustrated, thank you for all the pleasure it brings. Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from NZ. I have been a silent reader of your blog for many years. You are an inspiration, and your photos and craft are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some great improvements. In our old and very small house I find sometimes that I'm so use to the way something looks that I need something to take me out of my comfort zone. We are starting the process of redoing our tiny bathroom by taking out a claw foot tub and putting in a shower. I love the look of the tub and the outside is painted black and to me looks very Parisian. But we are getting older and getting in and out will eventually be problematic. so forward we go. As always your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the improvements you've made! I especially like what you did in the kitchen. The lobster is so cute and adds a nice pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, 2nd attempt at commenting ... accidentally pressed Publish on the middle of a sentence! I think it all looks wonderful and really heralds the warmer weather. Tackling that airing cupboard has given you an amazing space - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it all looks great and i love the lobster x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really stunning. If ever you decide to leave teaching then you would be brilliant having a second career in interior design. I wish I did not live 500 miles from you or I'd hire you in a heartbeat. Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some really good improvements, I love the upstairs cupboard. We had an airing cupboard in our last house but since downsizing, we've lost that warm storage. What was a hall cupboard for linens, hoover etc. is now our ensuite (door moved and boarded up in the hall. This was all done before we moved in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all looks wonderful Gillian ! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, 9 years! I remember when you moved. It is actually really nice and reassuring that you still keep up with your blog, and a delight to read. I loved your drying space! You have all done a lovely job. I have found that I am very envious of women who have sorted out a very practical place to dry and sort laundry! I had a friend, and she had a laundry room, and I remember saying, gosh, I love your laundry and airing room, and she said, yes, it is lovely, and I do feel I have arrived! We were all working mothers, with careers etc etc, but still, I cannot shake my wish for a lovely warm room to dry clothes in! So it is honestly lovely to see how you have transformed that space! I should add that, over the years, I have so enjoyed seeing your house and improvements and talented crafting, so reassuring and lovely to see. I wish you all well, Gill

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.