Tuesday 26 April 2022

The end of April

Some highlights from the last couple of weeks at home:



Walking in the bluebell-filled woods, always a favourite. The shade of blue is more purple when you're in the woods, although is does seem to depend on the camera too. The photo above was taken on my Olympus before the battery died, so the rest were taken on my phone. The shots from my phone do look more purple than blue, but all beautiful.




A day out in the pretty West Sussex town of Petworth, just my friend Abigail and I. It's a good halfway meeting place for us.

 

No husbands and children, so we were free to browse the antiques shops as much as we wanted. I found this beautiful green fish-shaped vase, below, and have since discovered that it is actually a jug. I've heard they can be called "glug-glug", "guggle", "gluggle" and "gurgle" jugs but basically, the water makes a wonderful glugging, bubbling noise as it moves through the hollow arm of the vase, hence the evocative name. I love it and filled it with flowers from the garden.


The weather was dry and sunny all over the Easter holidays, and there were days when it was quite warm, especially when there was little wind.


Some of us read.


Some of us lounged. Ziggy loves it when we are working in the garden. He lies watching us then occasionally comes over, tail wagging, to say hello.


And some of us gardened. 


There was fresh air and vitamin D and lots of walks, long and short. 


I am still working my way through the delicious wild garlic pesto, and tried some in a toasted cheese sandwich. Amazing - the slight oniony tones of the pesto go so well with the cheddar.



As the seasons move slowly onwards, it's always time to review the bedding situation.  The winter duvet has been packed away meaning we need a slightly heavier blanket, and this cotton one is ideal, providing weight but not as much warmth as wool. Luckily I have lots of blankets and throws in various weights so am always happy to have a change, give the bedroom a slightly different look. I am still working on my king size patchwork quilt here and there, along with a pair of crochet socks, but do wonder if it might be time to crochet another blanket. I've always wanted to make a ripple blanket in the softest, most muted colours, with maybe a little black thrown in. 

We did have a little break over the Easter holidays and spent a few nights in London doing all the touristy things and spending lots of time together. The sun shone constantly and we had the best time. Photos will follow just as soon as I have time to organise them.

5 comments:

  1. I've heard the fish jug called a "gurgling cod" before, but I have no idea if it's actually a cod. I love your crocheted blanket on your bed, the colors are perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new jug/vase and you and your daughter are beautiful twins! I have been reading your blog a very long time, watching your children grow, and it’s wonderful to see children reading. My children loved books at that age and now as adults their love of reading has never left them. I’m always inspired by your crochet projects, and have over the years gotten several patterns you have favored. I am completely in love with your crochet blanket. I think I have been inspired again by you, think I will start start one tomorrow. Thank you for sharing your life with all of us. Waiting patiently from West Virginia in America, for your next posting, and enjoying a new Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos of your life in April, love to see Ziggy too. I expect you're all back at work and school now. Have a good term back, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see Lombard Street photographed by you Gillian. You take the best photos! I wonder if you popped into Reader’s Good Books at the bottom of Lombard Street where I occasionally work? I have a dark blue Plymouth Gin glug jug that I remember my mum buying in a junk shop in Plymouth in the 1970s. Memories of lovely family holidays sailing and surfing and pony trekking on Dartmoor. A new addition to my wild garlic repertoire this season is to add it to good old macaroni cheese, although it is hard to beat wild garlic pesto and last night I smeared some pesto over bream fillets (from Petworth fishmonger) before a quick grilling. We ate this with Jersey Royals and asparagus from the garden. Lovely to see Bella growing up into such a beautiful young woman and Ziggy looking so cool. I started making a one inch hexagon patchwork quilt with all the scraps but gave up at cot size. I receive emails from the clothing brand Toast and today’s featured a patchwork vest top that tied at the side and I thought I could make that with all my indigo scraps. Have a lovely long weekend. Sarah from West Sussex.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you will find your fish jug was made by the Dartmouth Pottery, Gillian, they were famous for their glug jugs, as that - as you point out - is the sound liquid makes when poured from these jugs. It is lovely for flowers. Well done, spotting it. Your photos of bluebells are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.