Sunday 10 October 2021

October: pink walls and autumn light

October, so far. There have been beautiful sunrises at the back of the house - something to look at as I blearily fill the kettle at 6am - and sunsets at the front. Long shadows that stretch across the rooms and sharp sunlight that falls in different places, illuminating objects and corners. There have been bags of conkers collected on walks and scattered around the house in bowls and, optimistically, along the bathroom window to deter the spiders. Dried allium heads and hydrangeas have been cut and brought inside and arranged in vases and pots.



There have been many walks, long and short, in the fading green of the countryside with lengthening shadows accompanying us in the early evening.


We made the most of the last warm, dry weekend and had people round for pizza. We talked about buying a fire pit so that we could sit outside more in the autumn, maybe have people round for bonfire night. 


The kitchen has produced salted caramel cheesecake, many loaves of sourdough and the usual lunchbox/after school staples of chocolate banana bread, flapjacks and tea loaf. The fig tree in the garden produced a couple of delicious, jammy figs. 




We painted the bathroom pink (Hellebore by Little Greene Paint Company). We painted the walls and ceiling and it makes such a difference to a north-east facing room


It feels so much warmer. 


There was enough leftover to paint the alcove behind the wood burning stove. Eventually, I would like to tile this alcove, but the paint looks nice there for now.

Incredibly, a week and a half into October, there are still dahlias growing in the garden, along with sedum and wallflowers and geraniums. Over half term, I am going to move one of the fig trees and some of the dahlias I grew this spring into the new flower bed we created where the old shed used to be. It needs to be filled with plants before nature fills it with weeds. 

Two weeks to go until half term, and my head is filled with pumpkins and squashes: roasted for salads and risottos and soups, boiled for pancakes and pie and this recipe which I really want to try. It's still mild - we have only switched the heating on a couple of times - but I am looking forward to the first fire. I love October. 


11 comments:

  1. A lovely subtle shade of pink. It looks amazing both in your bathroom and behind the wood burner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I wouldn’t have thought to use pink but it’s very effective, making the bathroom cosy! I love to see your design ideas, they are always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a sweet post. i love october also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out so well, love the pink. And that cake, droolworthy! May I advice you a garden stove? You got lovely big round cast iron ones. They radiate heat and it is comfortable and warm to sit by. A fire pit is worthless by comparison. It eats wood, it makes a mess and ruins clothing.Go look at some in nurseries. Mine is in use for the umpteenth year so they can get realy old.We sit around it with the 7 of us and enjoyed it many times. I use it to burn branches and leaves to, the ashes is splendid for the garden. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Gillian. I Love the pink walls in your bathroom and behind the stove. It gives such a cozy vibe to that whole area by the mantel. I also want to make Smitten Kitchen's pumpkin bread. I've made her pumpkin muffins many times and they are also delicious. We like to add chocolate chips to the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pink suits the bathroom , lovely shade. I remember when you moved into the house, you really disliked the bathroom didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The perfect post. Even after all these years, your words and pictures are just magical x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love October, too. September and October (so far) have seen chilly nights and golden, sunlit days - wonderful for walking, and making me want soups and stews and freshly baked things.
    The shade of pink you chose looks indeed very warm and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bread and cheesecake look amazing! October is by far my favorite month...yes, do get a fire pit. You'll love getting cozy around it on a chilly evening, making s'mores and sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your October. It is so nice to float steadily into Autumn with this lovely mild weather isn't it. I have been octobering too.
    https://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that is the most beautiful stitch work I have seen for a long time.What a commitment.
    Barbarax

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.