Friday 2 July 2021

Granny Square Crochet Top


I have finished a crochet top and I think it might be my favourite thing I have ever made. 67 granny squares (plus 15 half squares and 2 three quarter squares) joined together with a white border and all the summery colours in between. 


The colours are pretty bright, much brighter than I would usually choose, but I think they work with the balance of white overall. I feel like if I was the kind of person who liked camping and went to festivals, this it what I would wear. As it is, I wear it to Waitrose, and that's fine. 



The pattern is the Oma Goodness top by Little Golden Nook. I used Paintbox Yarns Cotton DK: 9 balls of white and 10 balls of different colours. I used a 4 mm hook throughout except for the cuffs, collar and hem, when you switch to a 3.5 mm for a slighter tighter crochet. I hesitated over which size to go for, but remembering how I crochet everything on the large side, went for medium not large and the fit is perfect. I wanted this top to be floppy and loose fitting, and it is.



While the squares were easy to make (although so many ends to darn in!), joining it took a bit more concentrating. I laid out all the squares on the floor and painstakingly attached them with safety pins so I wouldn't forget my layout. Then, the squares are all joined with a loose join-as-you-go method done in the final round of the square which gives a looser finish. The only tricky bit was making sure I sewed the arms and sides together correctly.

Once the joining is done, the neckline, cuffs and collar are all finished with a simple shell edging which I really like.


After a quick block it was ready to go. 


A summer top, made in time for midsummer. 

26 comments:

  1. This is so lovely! I love your choice of colors... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice, and a good fit. You don't need a large size, do you? I know what you mean about patterns being too big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Gillian & although I've seen patterns for kid's ponchos, I've not seen larger ones for grown-ups. You've done a great job & it looks lovely on you too. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful and unusual colours, congratulations, anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning, it has such lovely colours. I don't crochet and am too old to start but sometimes I wish I did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful top, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a gorgeous top! You do the best work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s very pretty and I love your color choices! Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that is so pretty 😍
    Gorgeous colours 👍👍

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it, indeed very "hippie-not-hippie" like. The pink dress makes it even more flowergirl like. There goes your feisty image XD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful top and the colours are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your top is so pretty! I crochet also but not much in the way of clothes. I can never seem to get them right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is pretty darling! I love the combination of it with the dress you are wearing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness - it’s gorgeous and suits you so well!! Congratulations on a fab finish x

    ReplyDelete
  15. The picture of you is stunning! What a lovely dress and sweater combination.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh it is just wonderful! I agree that you always make things on the large side but this is the perfect size. I always measure my underarm measurement for knits rather than bust size which always works out much better. A knitting pal with a large bust taught me that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! You look lovely in it. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.