Friday 19 February 2021

TIny Signs of Spring



I am emerging, a bit dazed, from two weeks of university lectures and assignment writing. Two weeks of staring at a laptop all day, every day. It's been draining, to say the least, but now I can relax and enjoy the last few days of half term. 

This little corner has been where I've spent most of my time, up in the spare room. I quite like it up there and am claiming it for myself, by stealth. I might start referring to it as my office soon, maybe move my yarn up there....


It used to be Angus's bedroom. It's a tricky size and shape but I'm moving furniture around and making it cosy. I hung all my embroidery hoops together on the wall the other day. There is definitely room for more.


Downstairs, life has booked like this. Children doing schoolwork from home, John working from home. There were days when our WiFi was stretched to its limit with all four of us on Zoom or Teams at the same time.


This one spends his days going from bed to sofa to a different bed. Occasionally he pops up to see me in the spare room. I think he likes the carpeted floor up there as much as he likes to see me.



While we've had some bitterly cold weather, we had the most pathetic amount of snow you've ever seen. It's not like I wanted to be snowed in or anything, but enough for the kids to go sledging would have been nice. Anything to relieve the unrelenting boredom or days and days at home. 


It's been a challenging couple of weeks, actually. I am not suited to lone working or any kind of working from home, and feel very thankful for the usual contact I have with my colleagues and the children at work. I wouldn't say I'm an extrovert but I am a very sociable person and do like the company of other people very much - perhaps more than I realised. Also I feel like I've hit a bit of a wall with the pandemic and lockdown. I am just fed up. I miss my family and friends, I miss hugging people. I miss going for a coffee or a drink in the pub or out to dinner. The cold, wet winter hasn't helped much. 

So positivity comes in the form of small things; spring flowers, lighter evenings, finding a good TV series to watch, a new book, crafting and baking. And big things too, like loved ones being vaccinated. 


We have baked rhubarb and custard cake, heart-shaped biscuits for Valentine's Day and pancakes, among other things.  We made savoury pancakes for lunch, filled with cheddar, chopped ham and spring onions. Then we had traditional English ones for dessert after dinner, with lemon juice and sugar.

Our walks have been frequent and local. They have been muddy 
stormy

sunny 


drizzly


and frozen. At least it's not so muddy when the ground is rock hard. 
































Every sign of spring, every catkin and camelia and snowdrop, is welcome.







I am working steadily on my crochet jumper. Since I took this photo I've made good headway with the body and hope to have it finished in a couple of weeks. 



Solace also comes in the form of my Stitch A Day sampler. Sometimes it's three or four stitches every three of four days, it doesn't matter, I am loving it. 


 I hope you are all keeping safe and healthy and doing well, or as well as can be expected. Spring is coming. Cling on to that. 

16 comments:

  1. Love this post! I’ve hit a wall too this week, I think many have. We usually manage to explore a little during half term, so I’m feeling like a caged lion! Thanks for your sharing and your lovely ideas, especially the needlework. Spring is coming x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This lockdown is so much harder, but knowing we are all in it together and that its ok to say it's hard, really helps xxx I bet Ziggy gives you much to smile about, as does our mad pooch. Give him a hug from me x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, you've been doing it tough. Had a few days lockdown earlier in the week here in Auckland, but it's been a glorious summer and we are so lucky compared to just about everywhere else in the world. However, the sun is setting earlier and I know our summer days are limited, which means those of you in the Northern Hemisphere will soon enjoy more daylight and warmer temperatures. Hang in there. PS just about the watch the Americas Cup - go Ineos Team UK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life has been very hard because of covid and every home looks like an office and a school nowadays. Neatly organised home. Colorful pictures.
    www.shamiatcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Gillian and loved catching up on your news. The paragraph after your snowy deck photo is just so apt as to how I feel, you couldn't have put it better & I'd not realised how sociable I like to be either & we are retired & haven't had the worry over home-schooling or jobs. Your two are growing in leaps & bounds since I started following your blog nearly 8 years ago. I can see Spring coming for you in all those lovely photos & the Rhubarb & custard cake sounds good. Take care, stay safe & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy how you share so many busy, happy activities that you and your family do. It is good to show the positive, productive, but also quiet, times that you have even with the Covid lockdown! Thanks so much for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the photos of Ziggy snuggled up on beds, just like our dog loves to do! I changed the sheets on Younger Son's bed yesterday & as soon as I'd finished, up jumped Ty.

    Half term has been a respite in 1 way for us, as Younger Son hasn't been using my computer in the living room (that has to be walked through to get to the kitchen) for his music course, & he's not been recording. But it's still been no friends no family no trips out. I'm so looking forward to Spring for more sunshine and longer days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky Ziggy, our dog is not allowed upstairs but he has enjoyed the luxury of us all at home together. Winter lock down is certainly harder than a summer one eh? looking forward to the sweater. Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, we have hit that wall of "DONE with it all!" here too. Soon it will be spring here also. As of now, we are still buried in 15" of snow on the ground but it was above freezing today with sunshine. The Littles (grandchildren) were here this morning and Farmer's cousin & daughter were here this afternoon. Feeling better tonight after all that fun.
    I love your photos. I enjoy the pops of color you have in each one.
    Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Repeating other comments but definitely hit the wall here in recent weeks too, a bleak wet half term hasn't helped. But reading your posts does, your beautiful photos and considered and well thought out words always make me feel happy. Thank you for taking the time to write them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such stunning photographs I am clinging to the promise of spring, it is keeping me going!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always, reading your post and looking at the pictures was pure pleasure. Thank you!
    Don't those snowdrops lift the winter-weary spirit like few other things?
    We've had everything this month, weather-wise - the coldest days and nights at -16C, but also the warmest at almost +20C (this past weekend); there was quite a bit of snow, some rain and thankfully, also plenty of sun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely post, and I love your 'new' office space ... it's definintely worth hanging onto. The new embroidery is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely with you on hitting a wall.
    The news this week definitely buoyed me although I'm sad that the extension of shilng, which I wasn't expecting, means I can't return to school until after Easter. But I feel like I can start to look ahead now and make plans. Perhaps that's naive?!
    Would love to see more of the office space!
    How did you hang the hooks, I'm always scared of putting holes in walls!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your stitch a day sampler is looking lovely and it will hold so many memories when done. Your other embroidery hoops look fantastic on display too. You do have such good ideas, thanks for sharing.
    I think lots of us are feeling that jaded fed upness with things but hopefully things are going to start improving and the sounds, smells and sights of Spring are becoming more evident each day. Hold on in there and be safe x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Feeling for you all so much. Do hope more freedoms will be just around the corner. Big hugs

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.