Tuesday 14 April 2020

Long Weekend


I feel that food has become more important to us as a household now than ever before. I'm not talking about the physical acts of shopping, cooking and eating, but the emotional way it feeds us. It marks certain points in the day, helps a dull day at home pass more agreeably, differentiates a weekend meal from a weekday one, and gives us something to look forward to.


What I choose to eat for breakfast, say, marks the difference between a week day (cereal or fruit and yogurt) and the weekend (pancakes or waffles or toast) more than it used to, and I really enjoyed cooking and baking so many treats to celebrate the Easter weekend: mini egg nests, biscuits, chocolate fudge cake, roast lamb, strawberry pavlova.... 


We've started having things like homemade pizza or nachos with chilli and homemade guacamole (a revelation) more on a Saturday night, maybe with a film too. 


I also recognise here the privilege we enjoy as a family: we have enough money to buy food, a car to drive us to the supermarket so that we're not reliant on public transport or deliveries, good health so that we can shop in public without fear or worry, and children old enough to be left at home unaccompanied should they need to be. I've felt my privilege more than ever before in these last weeks, as I watch Bella and Angus play in our back garden knowing they have free access to a secure outdoor space, as we all live together in a house big enough for us to have space to escape to, and as we live in an area where we can easily walk our dog at any time of day without thinking twice about our safety. Not everyone has this and I do not take it for granted.

Politics aside, it's been a lovely Easter weekend. I think I finally gave up fighting the enforced lockdown and just relaxed into it. I make time to exercise daily, I do everything at a slower pace (for someone who always feels she is rushing, this is taking some getting used to) and try to enjoy this strange and temporary situation. The warmer weather, lighter evenings and lack of school have given us after-dinner water fights and a generally more relaxed approach to bedtime routines.


We finally braved the Lego situation yesterday. 


If not now then when?


Our daily walks have been glorious, the most boring street transformed by the blossom everywhere.

On Easter Sunday, late in the afternoon, we walked down to our local woods which seem to become more green with every day that goes by.


I've not really started any particular "stay home" project yet, but now seemed like as good a time as any to pick up this hexagon patchwork quilt which I started in summer 2018.


I've made 108 hexagons, about enough for a pillow case, and I estimate I'll need between 1100 and 1200 to make a quilt big enough to cover our bed.


I had a lovely trip down memory lane looking at all the different fabrics, and remembering when and where I bought them, what project I used them in. I feel that might deserve a blog post all of it's own sometime. 


I did finally finish this beaded bracelet. I bought in on holiday last summer from Purl Soho in New York and it's not my usual craft but I ordered a small beading loom from Amazon and I thought I'd try it.


It's fiddly, and it took me a while to get the tension right, but it's also incredibly satisfying to make and I found it strangely addictive. 


It has the most beautiful texture, like a slinky, and feels wonderful when you wear it. I have lots more beads, and the loom of course, so I might make another.

My trio blanket is growing slowly. I was starting to feel bored by the lack of colour change but when I turned over the bottom and compared it to the foundation row, you can see the colour change more distinctly as the purple and brown fade and the cream turns to grey.


I am enjoying it though, and it's a good TV crochet project as it doesn't require much concentration. 

I hope you are all ok. Take care and stay safe.

12 comments:

  1. A lovely post... your photographs are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about feeling grateful for what we have now more than ever. A lovely post Gillian. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that yummy looking food! Your bracelet looks great, it must have been fiddly. I like seeing all the hexagons, I would like to know more about the fabrics and memories. An epp quilt is something I'd like to try one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Gillian & we are also grateful for similar reasons to yours. Although we've no children at home (being classes as oldies in our 70s now), we have our home & garden, reasonable health, car for the "odd" grocery shop, our hobbies & the availability of several walks from our front door to ring the changes. No woods or fields, but pleasant enough. I've even taken my camera several times & have blogged about it & the changing of the season to autumn. We definitely need our blogging pals at the moment, so thank you for the updated posts to know you are all well & safe. Take care, stay safe & huggles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful hexagons!! And blossom trees are so nice!! Happy week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you, I am grateful for all the privileges I have - still working full time (from home), still able to go out for walks and do my own shopping, even still seeing my partner on weekends (which is allowed here according to government guidelines).
    Your food sounds and looks delicious, and the beaded bracelet is great. Love the many different bits of fabric; I know just what you mean about the many memories they trigger.
    Woodland is so beautiful right now. Orchards here are already a bit past their "best"; the time of blossom is so short, and I missed the best bit by about a week. Still have some nice photos from the Easter weekend which should appear on my blog over the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my your girl's legs are long! I too normally have a strange relationship with time where I try to squeeze in as much as possible but I am enjoying the slower pace. Your bracelet is lovely and reminds me of one I used to have which I bought in Cape Town while travelling in 1999. Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how I love your posts on all things 'normal' in a not so normal time in our lives. Food, outdoor space and crafting are very important for me also these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I've been stopping by here occasionally for a few years now and just wanted to say how much your children have grown - especially your daughter! Thankyou for all the lovely blossom pics - its autumn in Australia and all your spring blooms lift the spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally get what you mean about relaxing into the lockdown. As someone who is now retired I can't imagine why I used to charge at everything that needed doing, and I have finally slowed right down- also baking- it's the feeder instinct of mothers I guess. We are also lucky with food , a garden, walks, hobbies and space for both of us to have time apart. You all stay safe and well, xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your cake and Pavlova and I understand the comfort of food times! I feel incredibly grateful for food (and actually having breakfast and lunch- most of the time at school I miss breakfast and sometimes lunch).
    Your quilt Hexagons are so beautiful- what gorgeous fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a lovely post to read. Glad you're relaxing into lockdown life!

    I've been counting our blessings too... I'm slightly more worried that I would be normally as I'm pregnant but we have nice walks on our doorstep, we can still do our own shopping (though we're restricting it to not more than fortnightly), husband is working from home and I've been furloughed on 90% pay! I feel very fortunate as the one thing I'm always wishing for is time, and I've been gifted a nice chunk of it at a time I feel I really need it! I'm also very grateful to be furloughed as I only just started my job (literally just in time!) and it was only temporary so after July I'm unemployed and I won't get any mat pay so still being paid now means I can put a bit of money aside for the leaner times as well as buying everything we need for a baby!

    Sorry, I've digressed and am rambling on, but yes, lots of lovely photos and homely scenes here and I think this situation has many more positives than negatives for a lot of people. I'm hoping the increased family time and decreased travel / stress will actually prompt changes to life / working in the future that will be much better for the environment, family life and free time!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.