Monday 18 November 2019

Half a dress and other stories


I was going to sew a dress at the weekend. I'd been thinking about it all week, thinking that the Saturday and Sunday just gone was going to be the last quiet weekend before Christmas and that it would be my only chance. I have to psyche myself up to using my sewing machine, mentally warm up the idea - see it as something exciting and full of possibility, not terrifying. I also need to be able to give over the kitchen table to sewing, not an easy task when it's the most used surface in the house. 

I made sure the house was clean on Friday night so that I didn't have to spend Saturday cleaning. On Saturday morning I found myself blissfully - and unusually - alone in the house, and in daylight hours too. This is when I could do some sewing, I thought, and brought the sewing machine down from the loft. But then I made a coffee and read a bit of Nigel Slater's The Christmas Chronicles, drank the coffee hot and in peace. Then I started tackling the admin pile that builds up on the kitchen worktop next to the sink, under the shelves. 


Everything that needs to be looked at or dealt with gets dumped here, and I sorted and filed, filled out and hung up a new calendar, put some new book ends to good use, and stuck newly printed photos on the wall.


A small task, but one that I had been meaning to do for weeks, and I felt so much better when it was done.


Next, I indulged in some first class pottering. I swapped over the blanket on our bed for a warmer one, tidied up a bit, put things away that had built up during the week.


There is always a mountain of washing to do at the weekend, and I went to and from the washing machine all morning. In between that I dug out the sheepskin rug and woollen cushions and brought them down to the living room.


I recently bought a few sprigs (stalks?) of pampas grass and had a lot of fun faffing around with them, putting them in different pots and vases. I love their warm colour and how they add so much texture to a room.


While I was at it I dusted and faffed around with the mantel.


Then I went to pick up Bella and Angus (and also look at my sister's new house - very exciting!) before eating bagels with smoked salmon and cream cheese for lunch. Later, I took the kids and dog for a walk.


After a gloriously sunny morning, it had clouded over, but it was still lovely to be out in the fresh air in one of our favourite places.


By the time we got back it was too dark to start sewing, so I poured a sherry and lit the fire.


First thing Sunday morning I put a chicken stew in the slow cooker and then felt good about it all day. I baked a batch of sticky ginger cake and did the ironing while listening to The Archers. At some point I made a coffee and sat down with a book. It was possibly the highlight of my whole weekend. I did a few rows on this baby blanket that I'm making for a friend.


That afternoon I met my other sister for a walk in the woods with her children and dog, and then they came back here for a cup of tea, and before I knew it, it was getting dark again. There was just time to pin and cut out the pieces before I had to pack it all away as we needed the table to eat.


But that's OK. My weekend wasn't quite as empty and quiet as I'd pictured it, but I made a start on the dress and did a lot more besides. I don't have to binge-sew the dress over a weekend, I am allowed to do it here and there, and I may not get time to do any more sewing until the Christmas holidays, and that's OK too. I am bursting with crafty things that I want to do at the moment, namely finish the baby blanket, make a Christmas jumper, make a wreath and do a little festive embroidery. And maybe make a dress. 





18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely relaxed weekend with lots of family time and a bit for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds exhausting, but beautiful results at home and outdoor time too. The fresh air does a person good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos and stories as always...love reading your blog. Regards, Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like my sewing used to be until my husband made me my little sewing corner in mezzanine. It isn´t very cosy, but i can have my half done projects here for weeks and nobody cares :) Have a nice week and I am looking for your new dress. Hana (Czech republic)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done a hundred small jobs that you wanted to do, which made you feel good - and that is what matters for a weekend, isn't it!
    The dress looks summery so that you won't need to wear it any time soon :-)
    What's the matter with Ziggy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how your weekend ran away with you - most enjoyably! Amused to read that you find the prospect of the sewing machine terrifying. I was traumatised by the sewing machine in first year of high school sewing classes. After a year of trauma I happily fled to the safe haven of the Latin stream. Don't think I've even been in the same room as a sewing machine since!
    Do all your family like ginger? I love it, my son is okay with it, daughter not keen and husband dislikes. If I bake a gingerbread I have to eat most of it myself (shame).
    So lovely to see glimpses of your country/sea side - they're completely different to what we have up here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing how time just evaporates isn't it. But things get done in the end somehow. And no doubt it's lovely to come home to an organised house, so it's time well spent. Somehow I spent from 9.45 am until 4.30pm on Sunday at football, with just 45 minutes at home in the middle of the day. Not sure how it all took that long, but it did. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet post. Thank you so much for sharing. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just adore your home. Just the perfect touches here and there that make it so lovely but so welcoming. I am jealous!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like to look at your "home" photo's. It is just that....a home. It shows how much care you put in. You have good taste too but first and foremost , its home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was an excellent bit of procrastination , and you got some useful and some lovely things done along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That usually happens to me, I think "lets get all this stuff out the way and then I can do what I want" but it I always end up with the straggle of the day. Keep going... Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely post but it made me smile how you got so much done but then it was too dark to sew. It reminded me of when I had essays to write I would accomplish all kinds of things first to get them out of the way, but then oh no look at the time ;) I am sure you will find odd bits of time to make the dress, just enjoy it. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your weekend sounds so familiar. Although now with both children at uni as of September my weekends take on a different slant as we hit a new phase of life. Will look forward to your crafting makes, especially the Christmas jumper and wreath. I blog every day in December with all the crafting ideas that burst out of my head. Lovely post Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like a most lovely weekend ... and you still have your dress to look forward to sewing. The fabric looks gorgeous. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. O! I could have been me! Love the way your writing walks through your days. Super reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a wonderful weekend! Got a few things done and also had some quiet time to read and relax. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, Gillian, you packed in loads on your weekend! Even though it wasn't quite as you planned ( isn't that always the way? ), it sounds like a great weekend. Your home looks so cosy and welcoming :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.