Sunday 6 October 2019

Sugarhouse Blanket


Just in time for this mild autumnal weather, I have finished the cotton blanket I started last summer on holiday in Devon. I didn't like it a lot to begin with, and put it to one side for a good nine months before picking it up again last June to start work on again. I must have needed the break, for when I looked at it again, and looked at the yarn I had chosen, I remembered what I had wanted to do with it and why I started the project in the first place.


This blanket was inspired by the much-photographed tiled wall of Sugarhouse Studios in London. I have never been, but had seen a few photos online and loved the diamond shaped tiles in their muted pastels, with the swathes of colour that seem to move across the diagonal grid. 


Struggling as I always do to think of imaginative names for the projects I complete, I asked people on Instagram to suggest a name for this blanket, and the results were just amazing: Brilliant Butterscotch, Summer Sorbet, Ice Cream Dream, Summer Daze, Summer's End, Patchwork Summer, Summer Dream, Sweet Summer Haze, Sundae, Tutti Frutti, Wine Gums, Raspberry Ripple, Forget-me-not, Indian Summer, Gelatto Potpourri, Summer Sundae, Fading Flowers, Summer Meadow, Wildflower, Fading Glory, Last Blooms of Summer, Pumpkins and Pear Drops, Essence of Summer, Ice Cream and Faded Flowers, and the wonderful Two Scoops in Paris, which sounded like a great name for a novel.

I love how all these names picked up on the themes of ice cream, confectionery and summer blooms, but also the transition from late summer into early autumn. That time of year when there is colour everywhere, but it's softening and fading as cooler weather takes hold. That's what I wanted from this blanket: all the joy and memories of a good summer - the wildflowers, ice creams, days at the beach, blue skies, sunsets - keeping me warm both literally and figuratively. In the end I went for "Sugarhouse Blanket", which was what I referred to it in my head the whole time I was making it.


I used a standard Granny Square pattern throughout, but opted to set the whole blanket on the diagonal, just like the tiled studio wall. I filled in the sides with half Granny Squares, so that I had straight edges for the border.


I used the join-as-you-go method which I think worked well here. It definitely stopped the blanket looking overly balanced or perfect, as you can't lay out all your squares at the end and move them around, and helped the random feel I was aiming for. Also, along with the single-colour squares, it meant I had significantly fewer ends to darn in, always a good thing!


The border is very simple, just three rows of double crochet (UK terms) in white, nice and crisp. I'm not a fan of a fussy blanket border, it's just not for me. In fact I think this barely qualifies as a border, it's so thin - perhaps it's more of an "edge".



I used a 5 mm hook and Drops Paris cotton yarn in the following colours:

16 White
17 Off White
41 Mustard
35 Vanilla
26 Dark Beige
27 Peach
01 Apricot 
57 Light Light Pink
20 Light Pink
28 Powder Pink
60 Dark Old Pink
21 Light Mint Green
25 Moss Green
29 Light Ice Blue
101 Light Blue
23 Light Grey

I haven't measured it, but it's big enough to drape a little over the sides of a king sized bed.


I'm not sure how many more weeks I'll want a cotton throw on our bed. I may swap it for a thicker woollen blanket soon, or I'll add the winter duvet - it depends how much longer it stays mild for. Already we've had the odd evening where we've switched the heating on for a couple of hours, although we've yet to light a fire. But I know that I'll be overjoyed to unpack this beauty next spring and enjoy using it in the warmer months.






19 comments:

  1. Never heard of Sugar House but looked on your link. Definitely the best name for your blanket ! Which is lovely. I like plain edges for my blankets too. I am currently doing the cal on Cherry Heart blog. But am doing mine in 4ply pastel shades so it will be a lightweight blanket for my knees this winter !

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty and modern. The names are great--I am adding Saltwater Taffy, bec that is summer and boardwalks and good fun. Your work is lovely too.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is indeed a beauty. I would have been frightened of that peach colour but it blends so well with the other 'ice-cream' or 'sugary' colours. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE it, Gillian! And that comes from someone who can't do craft work of any kind, and wouldn't normally like a mixed-coloured blanket on the bed! But in your room it's just perfect, I love the design and the colours and how carefully you make things, so that they are neatly finished. I love how you have randomly set the colours together, too ... unless there is a pattern and I've missed it! It's so right for your room, indeed, for any part of your home with it's mid-century look (so on-trend, as they say, dahling!) I'd not have thought of this being ice cream colours, more jewel colours, as in Monty's 'jewel garden', so it's Gillian's jewel quilt to me.
    Margaret P
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS Now I've seen the Sugarhouse Studio, yes, I can see the similarity! Still think it's a jewel of a quilt!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, that is just fabulous. Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blanket looks amazing and the reference to the sugar house is 100% spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this blanket, Gillian! It makes me wish I could crochet! The colours are beautiful and having quickly looked at your Sugarhouse link, the name of your blanket is so appropriate. Let's hope it's stays mild for a bit longer, before you have to pack it away :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is very beautiful and does indeed convey all that you want it to mean.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your blanket is beautiful Gillian , a feast for the eyes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous, and I LOVE that it's made from cotton. I hadn't seen the Sugarhouse Studios before, it's very pretty and you've captured it well. I am in a bit of a yarny slump at the moment, nothing is quite right. But I can feel the thought of a blanket tugging at my subconscious, as I've just got out the blanket I made for the youngest out of Drops alapaca. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so pretty and sweet Gillian! A beautiful blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely stunning Gillian. You are a clever woman. Aren't you glad you finished it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm disappointed I'd never heard of Sugarhouse Studios before your post. That wall is amazing, I'll have to take a wonder one day. Your blanket is stunning, enjoy it while you can. Once those cold days come it will be something to look forward to getting out next spring. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's gorgeous!! I really, really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is soooo beautiful, and I totally agree that it captures the essence of the Summer/Autumn transition amazingly well. It's an absolute triumph xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful blanket, so nice work, I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks so pretty, bedtime will be a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So gorgeous... and lovely inspiration

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.