Tuesday 30 April 2019

Ombre Swirl Shawl


Hello there! I am very excited to have a finished crochet shawl to show you tonight. I often find I binge on a TV programme while working on a particular crochet project, especially if it's one that demands a lot of time. So I feel like this is my "Line of Duty" shawl, as I now totally associate it with the excellent BBC TV drama of the same name, since John and I watched the first four seasons back to back throughout April, and I can honestly say it's some of the best crime TV I've ever watched with such excellent writing, characterisation and acting  - just excellent, and if you get a chance to watch any of it on iplayer, do. We haven't started watching Season 5 yet because we can't cope with waiting a full week between each episode, so we'll binge on it in a few weeks. I have had to unravel quite a few rows of this shawl, not because the pattern's difficult (it really isn't) but because I was too engrossed in the drama on TV.


Anyway, the shawl. It's the Ombre Shawl by Sarah Shrimpton of Annaboo's House, using a 5 mm hook and one ball/cake of Scheepjes Whril in Raspberry Rocky Road


I found it really hard to choose a colour way for this project. I really struggled to see how the colour changes would look worked up into a finished garment, and still don't really like the hot pink in this choice. 


Luckily, the hot pink section, which is at the centre of the triangle, the start of the project, can be hidden around the neck with a bit of rearranging.


But I like it best when the pink is a little softer, like below. With hindsight, I probably would have preferred the Watermelon Hellraiser colourway.


But I do like it very much. It's large, drapes beautifully and required very little blocking. I especially like the way the simplicity of the pattern shows of the colour gradients, without being too dull.


I haven't worn it yet, but I think it's going to be the perfect spring to summer scarf, something that I can easily wear with a white t-shirt and jeans. It's quite feminine I think, so I will wear it with something plain or striped, and I think it will work really well with denim. 




19 comments:

  1. I love a touch of bright on a scarf, the bright pink is great. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely job! The hot pink balances out the darker shades. I think it will grow on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks really pretty, you're very clever

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shawl! I think the pink looks very pretty by your face. Gives you a lovely glow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shawl looks lovely, it's light, lacey and very feminine. Perfect for the summer. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and really suits you - I love the way it drapes and changes colour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so very pretty and delicate - clever you - I wish I could crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shawl looks beautiful on you! I agree that the pink around your face is very becoming. Thanks, too, for the "Line of Duty" recommendation. I'm always looking for a good crime drama and especially love those with multiple seasons available.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The shawl looks lovely. OMG Line of Duty I've only watched the first series when it was on TV here in Australia...I was on the edge of my seat the whole time...Brilliant and I always do love the British cop shows like The Bill etc. Kathy, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a pretty shawl, Gillian. I even like the hot pink, it goes well with the season. I am thinking cherry blossoms when I see your shawl. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your shawl is beautiful! Hot pink is a good colour for blondes and it looks great with your Breton stripes. Best, Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful work. Goes with your ombre hair which is fabulous also. I love the 'whirl' but find the cost rather prohibitive. Wonder if there is an alternative yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's beautiful and looks lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nicely done, and I agree, the pink looks lovely on you, it was meant to be. I love the idea of wool that fades into a different colour. Sometimes I find the ones with only short sections of colour before they change again (don't know the term) a bit busy. But this is lovely. I am eyeing up all the colourways... CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing better than some TV crochet. It is a beautiful gradient from colour to colour. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very beautiful, and it looks nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty! The colors are great for Spring and also the weight since it seems very light and lacy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your shawl is beautiful, Gillian and I agree with the other comments, the pink suits you. I've just bought some ombré yarn to knit some lacy scarves as Christmas presents. Nothing like planning ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.