Tuesday 26 March 2019

Spring Miscellaneous


There's nothing and everything going on here at the moment. I feel like I never stop, but I also don't have a lot to show for my busyness. Recent weekends and evenings seem to be spent constantly driving children to and from various parties, clubs, activities. But the weather has warmed up, the garden is emerging from its winter slumber and we have a weekend of gardening and DIY planned which I am happy about. I'm at that stage with the garden where I'm genuinely delighted by it, by what I see each time I go out there, so happy to be out in it pottering around after a long winter and interested to see what's growing, what's new. This will be our fourth summer in this house and I'm still getting to know the garden, as we've done quite a bit to it since we moved in, creating borders, moving plants etc. I still get a thrill when something new blooms. The daffodils are fading but the tulips are just about to open and are looking very cheerful indeed.


 The rhubarb has shot up in the last two weeks, along with the weeds...


 and I spied a tiny pink carnation flower in a sorry looking pot.


I filled the wooden planter on the decking with a mixture of daffodil bulbs again last autumn - it's right in front of our kitchen patio doors so I like to make an effort with it - and it's bursting with yellow, white and orange flowers. I am loving these ones below, although I have no idea what variety they are - some kind of multi-headed narcissus, maybe?


I am really, really looking forward to the Easter holidays. That two week break in the middle of spring always feels like a treat, especially if the weather is good. It's often a holiday we spend in the garden and doing DIY, and I can't see that this one will be any different. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to the spring Craftpod. I have a few projects that I've saved from previous boxes and I might do some embroidery over the Easter holidays, add a few more hoops to the wall in the dining room. 


Crochet-wise, I decided to start with the Ombre Shawl as it's something I can wear during the spring and summer. I had a bit of a wobble about the brightness of the pink but I've done a few more rows since then, and it's starting to subside. I will like it more when the grey comes in, I think.


Last weekend I made baked doughnuts from this recipe and they came out really well. You have to accept that they are not really like a traditional doughnut, since they don't contain yeast and aren't deep fried, in fact they're really just a doughnut shaped cake. But they are so light, and once they are dipped in melted butter and coated with cinnamon sugar...so, so good, and a lot nicer than the stale jam doughnuts I bought from Tesco's a few weeks ago.


My after work dog walks have been lovely lately. It's light until seven pm now, although I usually walk Ziggy between four and five, and the blossom everywhere is such a pretty sight, especially the magnolia.


We had a really gorgeous walk at the beach on Sunday afternoon. I was hot in my boots and coat and it truly felt like spring had arrived.


I love this time of year. The longer days give me such a boost of energy, and I am full of plans for all the things I want to cook and paint, sew and crochet, plant and make. There are cupboards to be emptied, rooms to be spring cleaned (and of course rearranged) and flowers to pick from the garden. Lovely spring. 

16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful spring post! I love all the photos. That wooden frame looks so nice against the brick behind the tulips. The embroidered hoops are so sweet and I love the books grouped by color. Your grass looks so lush and bright and all the flowers are so pretty. How lucky to be able to walk along the shore. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing pictures and sentimental definitions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Gillian. Your wall of hoops is lovely, as are those pretty daffodils. My, those baked doughnuts look very nice, so might look at the recipe. Enjoy the coming Spring & Easter break & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have started the ombre shawl as well this week and was concerned with how much baby blue there was at the start. Like you I am waiting for the darker blues and pinks in my yarn to calm it down a bit. The colours you have chose are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really does suddenly feel like spring doesn't. As you say, dog walking is suddenly glorious. Bertie and I tend to do a pavement walk in the evenings when it's dark, but the other day it was still light and he refused to move unless I crossed the road to go up to the green so he could gallop around off lead. I'm looking forward to the Easter hols as well, although I'm worrying that two sizeable pieces of work that are on their way will be sent to me the very second the children break up. Fingers crossed they hold off, I have lots of plans. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such gorgeous photos! Your house is so beautiful. I'm often so busy and then feel as if I've achieved nothing for all my busyness! Work is a great gobbler-upper of my time LOL I think of all the things I'll do when I'm not at work, then there's always something else that needs to be done and the things I plan to do get shoved aside! Best, Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You might think you are not accomplishing a whole lot but your home and your family show the love and attention that you pay them.
    I so enjoy looking at your photos. They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been trying to write a spring post but our house build photos look so disastrous that I am trying to open my mind to what else is happening around me, the more beautiful things that don't involve a skip. In my mind I want my post to be just like yours full of happiness, normality and brighter days ahead. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cookery books arranged by colour... Your photos and posts always make me smile, Gillian. Happy Spring indeed x
    PS That's a double daffodil, possibly 'Abba'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely to see your southern spring! Up here in the north of Scotland our daffodils are at their peak, and tulips just at the early leaf stage. I know what you mean about the Easter holidays - they were my favourite holiday when my two were at school and university, and before that in my childhood. My mum was a primary teacher, and I have such happy memories of the walks we took in the spring countryside. The cookery books by colour look wonderful. My husband is colour blind, so it wouldn't work for him! I know where every book in the house is - and we have a LOT of books - but my husband would really like them arranged by size order. Typical man-thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks so fresh and so very much like spring! We're a few weeks behind you here in Denmark as the daffodils are only just starting to unfold in my garden. I think it might be narcissus "Bridal Crown" in your photo. They are lovely but have quite a strong scent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. some times life is like that so busy but not showing much for the effort! Still I love your blog and your photos xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Весна! Очень красиво!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden is far ahead of mine...we have only snowdrops and crocuses so far. Those pale creamy-yellow tulips: do you happen to know what variety they are? I'm looking for some in just that color to plant near a PJM rhododendron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry, I wish I could tell you, especially after you so helpfully identified my double narcissus as "Abba", but I haven't got a clue. I planted them a few years ago and forget they are there until they pop up each spring.

      Delete
  15. Oh, and I agree with "Coastal Plot" that your double narcissus look like "Abba," though "Bridal Crown" is also a possibility. Whatever they are, they're certainly pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.