Tuesday 15 May 2018

Nine


Someone turned nine at the weekend. There were presents and cards and birthday waffles, and Bella made him a lovely card with a badger holding a bunch of balloons - I think Angus was genuinely really touched. Favourite presents included a snorkel (already tested in the bath), a drone and a Swiss army knife, plus a pair of bouncy new trainers that definitely make him run faster. 


The birthday cake request - to my huge relief - was chocolate cake with white chocolate buttons round the sides and smarties on top. Specific but achievable, I like that. 



We booked a Forest School birthday party at a local park and all the cousins and some of Angus's school friends came. They built dens and learnt how to build a fire to boil water in a Kelly kettle, then roasted marshmallows on the fire. They absolutely loved it and the guys who led it were brilliant, funny and great with the kids. The look on Angus's face when he lit the fire with a spark was wonderful - a little shy but mostly really proud of himself. 


 Everyone was grubby and smelled of wood smoke by the end of the afternoon but these things count as a good day out in this house. And the rain held off until the last five minutes of the party.


All lovely, but completely and utterly exhausting, especially after a very packed week. Sunday we deliberately kept as low key and easy going as possible.


It occurred to me that we should have Sundays like that more often. 




17 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Angus, it sounds as though he had a fantastic weekend. The party looks brilliant, and your cake is amazing as ever. The littlest boy had a drone and a Swiss Army knife as gifts a while back too, he loved them. How cool and elegant your dog is on your lovely white linen. Bertie is a hairy horror at the moment, a hippy beast of a dog. I have heard that sometimes dogs are like their people, but I'm sure that can't be right. Wishing you another lovely weekend (it's not too soon to say that is it? Have just realised it's only Tuesday.) CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Angus! A forest party is a perfect way to celebrate a nine year old (we did exactly the same with Alistair when he turned nine last December). Fire, marshmallows and dens - the ingredients for utter happiness. Yours looks like a all around happy weekend actually. Wishing you a quiet week and another happy weekend when it comes. It seems a distant dream just now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Angus! Fantastic cake, presents and party. What a lucky boy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated Happy Birthday to Angus! Nine is the last one before the first two-digit birthday... exciting times!
    The presents, the cake, the cards, the party in the woods - it all sounds great fun, and I am glad the rain held off until the last few minutes.
    Sunday looks to have been really nice, too, with blue skies even.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday wishes to Angus.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post Gillian. I was one of the first trained Forest School leaders in Shropshire when it was rolled out as training before mainstream Primary Schools in area hopped on board with it. It is very close to my heart. I love that photo of them both. Happy Birthday Angus xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, it worked out beautifully, that’s good! I was thinking of you on Saturday as the rain started tipping down here in the afternoon, I was hoping it hadn’t got to you yet to spoil the party. Glad it hadn’t!
    Yep, You can’t beat a nice easy Sunday. The very best kind!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what lovely memories you have made for your children, messing around and making dens were part of my own childhood and I am glad I didn’t have the technology we have these days.....even at my age I think I feel I spend way too much time looking at a screen! But fab photos of a wonderful weekend, well done and belated birthday wishes to your son xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That fifth picture from the top: oh my! A keeper for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really does look like a very happy home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos and what a beautiful cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to Angus! The cake looks delicious. And it sounds like he enjoyed his party. The grilled pizza looks so good. What type of bread did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was shop bought ready-rolled puff pastry, so more of an open tart than a pizza but utterly delicious.

      Delete
  13. I was hoping the rain would stay away! Looks like the perfect party for a newly nine year old. And a pretty perfect Sunday for any Sunday! I think we need a similar whole weekend after this tiring week...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a fab party. i will look up whether have something similar in Birmingham for a 10th birthday. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated birthday to Angus! It looks like a great party. Both of my kids would have loved it. Angus is getting so big; I still remember when you mentioned "changing his nappy" in a blog post long, long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated birthday Angus! Such a handsome boy. I'd love a party in the woods. And one of those sweetie bags too. And some cake....
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.