Monday 13 November 2017

November Days


I feel like the days are racing past us at the moment in a blur of school, work and dog walks. I can't believe we're almost half way through November already. Bonfire Night, with it's fireworks and parkin cake, already feels like a long time ago. 



The weather has turned cold. It's often frosty in the morning and the wind is biting. We light the stove most nights and we've all put blankets on our beds. Ziggy has a very smart new coat, a dark green waxed jacket with sheepskin lining. He's snug as a bug in it, but it is a little on the large side, so he looks like he's been eaten by a well dressed monster, but at the rate he's growing I'm sure it will fit him perfectly in a month or so. Our weekend walks have been a pleasure, if a little muddy, and it's wonderful to take Ziggy to all our favourite places and let him sniff and greet other dogs. The woods are beautiful at the moment, especially when we go out for walks late in the afternoon and the light is low and golden.


I feel a bit better about Christmas. I've written some serious lists (with sub-headings and everything) and feel more in control. I mean, if it's written on a list, that's half the job done, surely.


I finally made that pumpkin pie cheesecake. The recipe is from the first Smitten Kitchen book, The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, and is a cheesecake base filled with pumpkin pie filling, then dotted with cheesecake mixture. You swirl the two together and bake it. I found it lighter than the more traditional pastry-encased pumpkin pie although I suspect it probably contains just as many calories. I really do love pumpkin pie. I'm not American but it's become something I'm starting to seek out and and bake every autumn. I just love the way the pumpkin puree is the perfect carrier for all that ground cinnamon, ginger and clove. Autumn spices. 


Thank you so much for your warm reception to my last post and the Making the Seasons idea. I love to know what you all think, whether you agree with me or not, because I know that crafting is probably as important to you as it is to me.





13 comments:

  1. Ooh, the cheesecake looks VERY good, I should like a slice right now in fact. I seem to spend a lot of hours dog walking as well. It's good for me though, and good for the soul to see a small dog galloping free and having a fantastic time. Glad to hear you have your Christmas lists under way. I am making the first tentative steps in the festive direction. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yorkshire Parkin - you can't beat it.
    I would like to join your Craft sessions but can it be something of my own or does it have to be a bought kit? Can it be as simple as a making a Christmas card? I am making things for Christmas anyway so might as well join if it is OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, it can be as simple as you like! I think making Christmas cards is perfect.

      Delete
  3. The cheesecake sounds delicious. Is pumpkin getting easier to find there? I remember when you said you'd had to make a special trip to find canned pumpkin once when baking a pie. Your photos are very nice. I especially like the one of Angus sitting by the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I had to order it from Amazon! Of course I could've steamed and puréed my own but I like the tins.

      Delete
  4. Yesterday, I ordered the first Christmas presents, and there is one more order I want to get out there today. Christmas market here opens next week Thursday - can you believe it!
    I so love that wonderful light on a late atumn afternoon. It makes me feel... I don't know, a mixture of nostalgic, happy and melancholic, full of longing for... something.
    The pumpkin pie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are feeling more in control. Me, I am bumbling along. I love your autumn photos, the light can be beautiful this time of year although we are approaching the doom and gloom time of year here in the North, when even daylight hours requires lights on the bike... Have missed your last post, shall go and check it out. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a beautiful time of year. Frosty air, walks in the woods and lighting the fire. Your photographs capture the magic perfectly. I like to make the most of these calmer days before the wonderful madness of the festive season begins. The pumpkin pie cheesecake looks delicious. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Parkin and pumpkin pie... just what autumn is about! Such beautiful autumnal photographs. And I do like your approach to list making!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post & so very autumnal with halloween thrown into the mix too. Glad you got to finally make your pumpkin pie & also some parkin which K would love. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That pie looks delicious! I love a frosty winter walk myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely idea, crafting and seasonality do go together somehow, and I am sure that you and Lucy will come up with some amazing ideas between you. That pumpkin pie looks absolutely mouth watering. I have a tin of Libbys Pumpkin pie filling in my cupboard, but it is more an item of historical interest now, than a foodstuff, I think it has been in there for about nine years....! X

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.