Sunday 9 October 2016

Horses on the beach



The beach felt huge today, ten times as big as usual. Our coastline is crowded around here; estuaries meet channels and flow into The Solent, the beaches are short and shingled at high tide. Look west and you see the high rise buildings in Portsmouth, look south and you see the hills of the Isle of Wight, and the horizon is always full with container ships, passengers ferries, Naval vessels. It's a busy stretch of water. 

But today, the tide was as far out as it could be, it was all sand and sky and the most perfect clouds. The air was warm with just the barest breath of wind, the water clear and quiet. The beach felt full with people, dogs and horses, but there was plenty of space to go around. I enjoyed watching the horses.  Horse riding is not something I'm keen on but I could see how freeing it must feel, riding by the sea. There was some kind of convention of labrador owners, about twenty of them, gathered together chatting. Dogs are allowed off their leashes on the beach from October first, so those labradors were all having a great old time, lolloping around, running in and out of the sea. We had our usual conversation about getting a dog - what kind, would it work for us as a family - the same conversation we have at least once a week. 

The clouds were building up as we left and the sky whitening. We went home for a lunch of soup and I spent the afternoon ironing and watching the Great British Bake Off with Bella (she's a great companion to watch this with, full of opinions and questions) while John cooked roast beef with Yorkshire pudding and all the trimmings. 

A pretty good day.

20 comments:

  1. Your beach looks fantastic and your day sounds fab, too. Wishing you a great week. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing pictures. Such a big sky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do envy you your beach - our nearest is a good hour and a half away, but I'd love to live near the sea. Sounds like a pretty perfect Sunday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely day indeed, Gillian! Ours was lovely in a steady rainy sort of way :) friends and family gathered here and there and yummy baked salmon for dinner. We haven't seen Mt. Hood for days and I am hoping it is being cloaked in a new white cape of snow. Wishing you a good week xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful photographs Gillian. I can almost smell the sea air. A lovely and relaxing way to spend your day. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos, just love that sky! Perfect day for some sea air!
    Can xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wide open spaces! Nothing like it for freeing up the mind, is there!
    Your day sounds really good. I like ironing, but usually don't watch TV with it, as I iron in the bedroom and the telly is in the living room. Of course I could simply move the ironing board to the next room, but somehow I like it this way. When I have more than just a few items to iron, I go on the BBC Radio 4 website and choose an episode of "In Our Time" to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely atmospheric photos. Sounds like a very fine day indeed. I spent mine pulling out brambles and weeds and reminiscing about the days we weren't slaves to this garden! Have a good week. S x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful photos. I love the huge expanses of beach and sky at this time of year, gorgeous. As you know, there are many dog conversations here as well. Have a good week Gillian. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, look at those skies. What a lovely way to spend a Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photographs. And a lovely sounding day! I actually like to iron while watching the television. The pleading from P to get a dog is relentless - first thing spoken about every morning, and last thing at night. Oh my

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never lived near a beach but I would really like to try it someday. I'm glad you're making such good use of yours, it sounds like it really restores you every time you go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Gillian,
    I adore the beach at this time of year. My mother in law would take her horse to the beach about now. Are you enjoying gbbo this year? I'm not keen tbh.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful beach! As a dog owner October means us rushing back to these lovely walks after a summer of restrictions. We have a cockerpoo called Betty and she's a fantastic addition to our family, our kids love her and I love walking her it's great for the soul

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh happy memories for me. I rode a horse on the beach in South Africa when I was 26, it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life to be free and outdoors without a care in the world all the the same time. Happy times. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous photos! Making me want to go for a beach walk today ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos - we walked around East Head last Wednesday and it was soooo windy. I think there were more windsurfers than walkers. Ah yes, the welly boot of water - and not just the children!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a perfect day. Wonderful photos of gorgeous beach and skies. Brings back back many happy memories of that coast, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I always try to answer questions, although sometimes it takes me a while.